Homes for Sale in Brentwood
Brentwood is an affluent neighborhood with a suburban feel in the heart of the Westside of Los Angeles. Along with nearby Pacific Palisades, Bel Air, and Beverly Hills, it is a highly sought-after neighborhood in which to live.
Brentwood boasts some of the most beautiful and iconic estates in Los Angeles, many situated amidst lush landscaping, especially on the slopes of the Santa Monica Mountains north of Sunset Boulevard. The farther one climbs into the hills, the more impressive the canyon and city views are. Moreover, the coastline is just four miles away, so residents enjoy spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and evening sunsets.
Brentwood Real Estate Listings
Brentwood is located within the 90049 zip code and is bordered by Bel Air and Westwood to the east; Santa Monica to the south; Pacific Palisades to the west; and Sherman Oaks, Encino, and Tarzana to the north. Homes in the tony community of Brentwood are pricier than the Los Angeles County average.. Home shoppers looking for privacy will want to keep Brentwood in mind as solitude is abundant; whether it's nature or exclusive, gated communities creating the seclusion.
Development in the area began in the 1880s with a small community forming outside the west gate (thus known as "Westgate") of the recently-established 600-acre Pacific Branch of the National Home for Disabled Soldiers and Sailors. On June 14, 1916, The City of Los Angles annexed the area known as Westgate, which included Brentwood. Brentwood real estate includes architecturally-significant houses like Mid-Century Modern homes from masters working in Los Angeles as well as classics like Spanish Revival, Cape Cod, and Tudor styles.
- Mandeville Canyon - northernmost portion of Brentwood that rises up the slopes of the Santa Monica Mountains.
- Kenter Canyon - Crestwood Hills caps to the top of this canyon with sits between Bundy and Mandeville Canyon.
- Brentwood Park - westernmost portion of Brentwood bordering Pacific Palisades.
- Crestwood Hills - located in the Northern portion of Kenter Canyon. Originally known as Mutual Housing Tract, this area is known for a significant number of Mid-Century Modern architectural homes designed by A. Quincy Jones, a number of which are designated as architectural landmarks by the State of California.
- Brentwood Circle - a gated community north of Sunset and east of Barrington.
- Brentwood Country Estates - a guard-gated community north of Sunset Boulevard near Mandeville Canyon.
- Brentwood Glen - bordered the 405 Freeway, the Veterans Administration, and Sunset Boulevard.
- Mountaingate - a gated community atop the Sepulveda Pass with a private country club, two golf courses, and other recreational facilities.
- Sullivan Canyon - a bucolic enclave zoned for equestrian use and home to original California Ranch-style architecture developed by Cliff May.
- Brentwood Heights/Westgate Heights - a neighborhood with an eclectic mix of architectural homes including Traditional, Cape Cod, Mediterranean villas, and Mid-Century Modern estates.
Notable Brentwood Estates and Homes:
- 12759 Chalon Road: Former home of Seal and Heidi Klum in gated Brentwood Country Estates
- 12780 Chalon Road: Former home of Gisele and Tom Brady. Home of Dr. Dre. Architect: Richard Landry
- 13187 Chalon Road: Case Study House No. 3. Architects: William Wurster and Theodore Bernardi
- 230 North Carmelina Avenue: 1949 plantation home. Former home of Tobey Maguire, Courtney Cox, and Ricki Lake. Architect: John Byers
- 526 N Carmelina Avenue (a.k.a. The Schnabel House): 1989. Recognized as one of the 20 greatest houses of the 20th century. Architect: Frank Gehry
- 414 Avondale Avenue (a.k.a. Nesbitt House): 1942 post and beam-style home in Brentwood Park. Architect: Richard Neutra
- 7 Oakmont Drive (a.k.a. Hunt Residence): 1940 Ranch-style home with Regency Revival detailing. Designated Los Angeles Cultural Historic Monument #1063. Once owned by Michelle Pfeiffer and David E. Kelley. Architect: Paul Williams
- 25 Oakmont Drive: Once owned by Jeff Greene. Architect: Paul Williams
- 426 North Bristol Avenue: Former home of Joan Crawford
- 2220 Mandeville Canyon Road: 1938 Southern Colonial Revival. Architect: Gerard Colcord
- 3099 Mandeville Canyon Road (a.k.a. Robert Taylor Ranch): Former home of Robert Taylor. Architect: Robert Byrd
- 241 N Rockingham Avenue: 1936 traditional home built for Zuzu Pitts. Former home of Linda Ronstadt. Architect: Paul Williams
- 12216 West Shetland Lane: 1927. Former home of Raymond Chandler
- 449 North Skyewiay Road (a.k.a. George Sturges House): 1939 architecturally-significant home. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #577. The Sturges House is the only home in Southern California Wright built in his Usonian style. Former home of Jack Larson. Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright hired Taliesin fellow John Lautner to oversee its construction
- 815 North Tigertail Road: 1950 Mid-Century post-and-beam. Architect: A. Quincy Jones
- 1200 North Tigertail Road: 1963 Mid-Century post-and-beam. Architect: Michael Smith
- 942 Stonehill Lane: 1952 mid-century modern architectural home. Architect: Rodney Walker. Renovation architects: Curated Los Angeles
- 12036 Benmore Terrace (a.k.a. Warwick Evans House): 1936 architectural home. Featured in Alan Wintraub's Lloyd Wright: The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright Jr. and Architectural Digest. Architect: Lloyd Wright
- 429 North Kenter Avenue: 1949 Traditional. Architect: Gerard Colcord
- 162 Acari Drive: 2008 Modern architectural home. Architect: Craig Burdick
- 136 North Canyon View Drive (a.k.a. Benton House): 1994 Contemporary home. Featured in the television show Californication. Architects: Ray Kappe and Ron Kappe
- 12822 Highwood Street (a.k.a. Siskin House): 1965 International style architectural home. Former home of Jerry Bruckheimer. Architect: Thornton Abell
- 11808 Kearsarge Street: 1969 Bauhaus-style architectural home. Architect: Haralamb Georgescu. Renovation Architect: Kurt Krueger
- 2000 Old Ranch Road: 1924 Rancho-style home. Former home of Bea Arthur. Architect: Cliff May
Notable Brentwood Residents (Past and Present):
- Mickey Cohen: Gangster
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: Bodybuilder, Actor, Businessman, and Governor of California
- Maria Shriver: Journalist
- Bea Arthur: Actress
- Seal: Singer-songwriter
- Heidi Klum: Supermodel, Television Host, Fashion Designer, Television Producer, Businesswoman, and Actress
- Gisele Bündchen: Supermodel
- Tom Brady: NFL Football Quarterback
- Marilyn Monroe: Actress and Sex Symbol
- Andrew Breitbart: Author, Commentator, and Website Publisher
- Dee Caruso: Screenwriter and Producer
- Dabney Coleman: Actor
- Joan Crawford: Actress
- Leland Hayward: Entertainment Industry Agent and Producer
- Arnold Schoenberg: Composer
- James Arness: Actor
- Don DeFore: Actor
- Margaret Sullavan: Actress
- Robert Taylor: Actor
Thinking of buying a home in Brentwood? Our Brentwood, Los Angeles real estate agents are neighborhood experts who can help you find your dream home. In addition to a continuous feed of listings from the largest MLS in Southern California, we can provide up-to-the-minute Brentwood real estate information such average home prices and house sales history so that you can make a well-informed decision.
If you're selling a home in the area, our listing agents will provide current market data for home values, comparison properties (comps), and a highly-tailored marketing plan to make sure you get the best price for your home.